Teaching will be practice based. Through a total of 24-hours, participants will learn to make a Marquetry pace with wood veneer. Guidance will be given on a one-to-one and a group basis. This course is limited to 8 seats and will be held on Fridays 18:00 -21:00. The starting date is 21 June 2019. Registration is Mandatory and beginners are welcome. (Age 16+)
Venue: The Islamic College
133 High Rd, Willesden, London NW10 2SW
Fee: £220 (Limited scholarship is available)
Marquetry short course: Design the Marquetry Panel
21st June – 9th August 2019
Please complete this form or contact the Short Course Department by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- To give students a fundamental introduction to woodwork, with emphasis on marquetry techniques.
- To explore the role of geometry in Woodwork.
- To develop a basic understanding of woodworking materials and process.
- To teach students a traditional geometrical composition and apply it in woodwork.
- To provide an opportunity for participants to create their own composition.
- By the end of the course, the student should have a Wooden panels with a geometric pattern
- H3, B2 pencils
- Brushes (No: 1)
- Tracing paper
- Cutting knife
- Wood glue
- Ply wood
- Variety of wood veneer
- Slide Show and talk on traditional principles in the context of wood marquetry
- Basic understanding of woodworking materials and process.
- Practical geometry
- Analysing a Geometric pattern for wooden panel.
- Safely use all tools and equipment.
- Apply geometry design principles in a woodwork context.
- Transferring geometric design to watercolor paper using traditional methods.
- To learn of principles of colour harmony as they are applied to wood.
- Practicing and understand basic methods for drawing colouring base on wood grain.
Understanding the grain and figure in wood.
- Preparing and choosing veneers base on their colour scheme, grain direction of wood veneer.
- Prepare first stage of wooden panel
To learn how to use chisel.
- Understanding the different types of cutting.
Continue with the rest of cutting veneer.
- Introduction of traditional technique for applying the veneer.
Finishing the main body of work.
- Explore different methods of adhesives, assembling and clamp technique
Explore various methods of finishing techniques through sanding and application of wax, linseed oil, and shellacs.