BA (Hons) Islamic Studies
This programme was developed and is delivered and assessed by The Islamic College.
BA (Hons) Islamic Studies, provides you with an opportunity to study the foundation and development of Islamic knowledge from a broad and multidisciplinary perspective. Arabic Language modules will equip students with the necessary skills required to access primary Arabic sources in order to perform their independent reading and research. Students are also exposed to a variety of Sunni, Shia, Orientalist and other views and encouraged to engage in critical thinking and to adopt an academic approach to their studies. At the same time The Islamic College emphasises the spiritual aspects of Islam and wishes to inspire students to endeavour to moral and ethical excellence. The course includes core modules on Islamic studies, while giving you the flexibility to choose from a broad selection of related courses on Islam and Muslim society. The course is suited for students who plan to continue their education at the graduate level in Islamic studies or related disciplines, as well as for those interested in obtaining a BA before going on to other fields or professions. Our dedicated lecturers provide expertise in areas ranging from Qur’anic sciences, Islamic law and jurisprudence, and Islamic economics to current issues in the Muslim world with special reference to Muslims in Europe. We aim to:
- Train students in skills that are essential for understanding Arabic texts.
- Provide students with an opportunity to broaden, deepen, and enrich their understanding of Islam.
- Promote the appreciation of Islamic ethics and code of personal practice.
- Prepare students to contribute in Islamic, multi-religious, and multi-cultural environments.
- Equip students with the skills they need to pursue lifelong learning.
- Develop critical and analytical thinking skills in students.
- Provide students with an opportunity to develop the capacity for independent learning.
- Enable students to develop their academic potential.
The Islamic College as an academic institution intends to provide the learners with the opportunity to study Islam and to engage in Islamic studies. The Islamic College welcomes all applicants regardless of background, culture, religion, sect, or gender (mature students are welcome).