BA (Hons) Hawza Studies
|Apply through college website
This programme was developed and is delivered and assessed by The Islamic College.
The BA (Hons) Hawza Studies programme is a unique course in which students gain a deep understanding of Islam within a modern framework of study leading to the award of a recognised degree. The course is consistent with the subjects taught in traditional centres of Hawza studies, such as Qum and Najaf, and incorporates some additional modules that suit the needs of Muslims living in the West. Since the successful study of Islamic sciences requires knowledge of the Arabic language, students are required to know Arabic before starting their BA course. For this purpose, students would be required to take the one year Cert HE in Qur’anic Arabic unless they can pass the Arabic Language test. This intensive course will equip students with the necessary skills required to access primary Arabic sources in order to perform their independent reading and research.
KEY FEATURES OF THE BA HAWZA STUDIES PROGRAMME:
- BA (Hons) degree from Middlesex University
- Based on programmes taught in traditional centres of Hawza studies
- Providing students with an in-depth knowledge of classical Arabic
- Training students in skills that are essential for understanding Arabic texts
- Progression onto advanced Hawza studies abroad (optional)
- Proficient teachers with both Hawza and university training
- Relevant to the needs of Muslims living in the West
- Accommodation and financial assistance available, subject to conditions